Friday, August 8, 2014

I Love Biographies!

I love reading biographies. My all time favorite is Shadow of the Almighty by Elizabeth Elliot. Whenever I read this quote by Jim Elliot I am stirred in my heart for a greater love and passion for Christ. If you have not read this or have not read this recently may I suggest setting aside some time to refresh your soul with the treasures of this wonderful story of one of the great Christians in the last century. Here's the quote from Jim Elliot:

  “I walked out on the hill just now. It is exalting, delicious, to stand embraced by the shadows of a friendly tree with the wind tugging at your coattail and the heavens hailing your heart, to gaze and glory and give oneself again to God--what more could a man ask? Oh, the fullness, pleasure, sheer excitement of knowing God on earth! I care not if I never raise my voice again for Him, if only I may love Him, please Him . . . . If only I may see Him, touch His garments, and smile into His eyes--ah, then, not stars nor children shall matter, only Himself.” Jim Elliot

To my Berean family,

I am slowly making progress with the healing of my leg after surgery three weeks ago. I still need to keep my leg immobilized for another 5 weeks. I am getting stir crazy but have enjoyed having time to pray, read, meditate and work on my book, The Foundations of Godly Living. I believe that the holiness of God should mark our lives and our ministries. This quote from an unnamed source speaks to my soul:

“The holiness of God is the subject of constant proclamation among angels (Isa. 6:3; Rev. 4:8). Meanwhile, Christians no longer believe in it. They wear shirts proclaiming “Jesus is my homeboy” and use God as a comic-relief character in tasteless jokes—while God Himself smolders as a consuming fire (Heb. 12:29). Whole churches lift up their hands to God, begging Him to come down, heedless that God’s arrival might bring a death toll. To describe the problem more exactly, Christians have stressed having a relationship with God but have forgotten that He “dwells in inapproachable light” (1 Tim. 6:16).

When God comes among His people there will be a profound reverence, a holy fear, and joy unspeakable full of glory! I am praying for the Lord's blessing and presence on our services during these days of my healing. Be assured of my love and prayers.

God bless you all, 

In Christ, 

Pastor Dickie

No comments: