Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Why Would Anyone Want To Read 
The Bible?

Someone once said, “God’s Word will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from God’s Word.

I've spent my entire life telling people about Jesus Christ. I was converted as a young man at the age of 16. Now, I get up in the morning, I look in the mirror, and I'm almost 70 years old. The years have come and the years have gone. I have enjoyed many unbelievable blessings from the Lord. My life has been rich and spiritually fulfilling. But I also have regrets. I regret I have not done more, loved more, forgiven more, lived better, obeyed more consistently, lived for Christ more passionately. I regret I do not have more lives to give my Savior. I identify with the hymn writer who cried, "O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer's praise."

  If an angel stood before me and said, "The Father at the throne is asking for volunteers to go to the front lines and there resist the powers of darkness and die for Jesus will you go?" I would shout like Isaiah of old, as loud as I could, "Here am I send me." Isaiah chapter 6 verse eight. Indeed, the hymn writer has stated it right, "Love so amazing, so divine demands my life my soul my all."

  Let me plead with you to take up your Bibles and to read them as if your eternal destiny depends upon it—it does. Let me plead with you to confess all past sins of negligence and to read your Bibles with a holy desperation. Time is passing by so quickly. Eternity is coming at a terrifying speed. Too many people live like the fool that Jesus spoke about in the parable in Luke 12,


"Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: "The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully.
 And he thought within himself, saying, 'What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?' 
So he said, 'I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. 
And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry." ' 
But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?'
 So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God." 

Let me plead with you to read your Bibles with this prayer to God, "Dear Lord, open  the eyes of my soul, that in this book, I might see my need of Jesus."

The great tragedy of life is that so many people spend their entire lives without having read the greatest piece of literature the world has ever known, the Bible.

They'll be ignorant of the greatest love letter ever written to man. This is God's love letter to you.

They will have spent a lifetime and countless hours on TV, degrading movies, cheap entertainment that is more detrimental than elevating.

These individuals will never know the rich treasures that the Bible unfolds to us. They will never appreciate a book whose thrilling stories, unmatched poetry, fascinating histories, and compelling teaching is far more profound than any philosopher, more mysterious and enchanting than "Star Wars," "Game of Thrones," J.R.R. Tolkien's “Lord of the rings, or even C.S. Lewis’ "Chronicles of Narnia."

The Bible opens up worlds for us that we never knew existed. It gives us a challenge to face, a mountain to climb, a reason to live, and a purpose for life.

Millions of people go through life like zombies, more dead than alive. Filled with emptiness, loneliness, having no purpose, no joy, and no hope for the future.

Can anything be more challenging in life than to walk with the true and living God?

Can anything be more fulfilling than to serve and your fellow man by serving the high King of heaven Jesus Christ?

Can anything be more rewarding than to live for the glory of God?

Can there be anything more important than seeking first the kingdom of God and his righteousness?

Can there be any comfort more profound than to know your sins are forgiven?

Can there be any joy greater than to know that you are destined for heaven?

Can there be any peace greater than the peace of God?

The Bible opens up for us all these precious joys and blessings.

If we were really wise, we would consider the Bible the greatest treasure and most priceless possession we owned.

Solomon challenged his son in Proverbs 2:1-5 to read the Scriptures. His words are really the words of our Father in heaven. Here is what our heavenly Father says to us about reading His Holy Word, the Bible:

"My son if you receive my words, and treasure my commands within you. So that you incline your ear to wisdom, apply your heart to understanding, yes if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding. If you seek her as silver and search for her as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.

Our Father in heaven is telling us that when we read the Bible we find things more valuable to us for our lives than  silver and hidden treasures. 

Jesus said to His disciples, “Search the Scriptures…these are they which testify of Me.” The greatest treasure you will find in the reading of the Word of God is the hidden treasure of a personal relationship with God’s Son Jesus Christ.

Isaiah 40:8,  "The grass withers the flowers fade, but the word of our God shall stand forever.”

My friend, read the book that does not wither and never fades but stands forever. Read the book that will give you the pragmatic solutions to every problem of life, that will give you the secret of your existence, that will teach you how to live and prepare you for death. Read the Book that will nourish your soul and lead you to heaven. Read the book that will lead you to Christ. Read the Word of the Living God.





No comments: