Is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Uninformed on Islam?
Sports legend and basketball star, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, appeared on CNN recently and made a number of statements defending Islam. It is apparent that Abdul-Jabbar thinks that those who are killing and slaughtering in the name of Islam do not represent what this religion really is. But is this truly the case? Every time there is a terror attack perpetrated by Muslims against non-Muslims, there are multitudes of defenders of Islam who repeat the same old mantra—that these people who are killing infidels do not represent what this religion stands for—and along with these attempts at cleaning up the image of this religion is the cry that we need dialogue with Islam to avoid any misunderstanding of the “Religion of Peace.” In the light of so many tens of thousands of terror attacks against non-Muslims by Muslims all over the world, it begs the question—If these attacks don’t really represent true Islam, why are there so many Muslims who think otherwise? Even a quick and superficial reading of the Quran reveals that this book calls upon its followers to wage war against the infidel and to bring all the world into submission to this religion. Those who believe otherwise, like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, must explain why these terrorists are more consistent with the teachings of the Quran than they are.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar also tries to divert attention from the violence of the followers of Islam by using the propaganda devise called “Ad Hominem” to attack non-Muslims. To use an ad hominem argument means you attack your opponent while dodging the real issue. Abdul-Jabbar stated that we don’t conclude that just because there is the Ku Klux Klan or so-called Christians who bomb abortion clinics that the majority of Christians are like that. Several points must be observed about this fallacious reasoning. First, there are no verses in the Bible that encourage believers in Christ to bomb, kill, attack, or act in prejudice towards non-Christians. The Quran, on the other hand, is filled with commands to do just that. Second, how many KKK attacks have there been world-wide? And how many abortion clinics have been bombed recently or at any time? Those who use these propaganda techniques to defend this religion must strain at a gnat and swallow the proverbial camel. There is simply no comparison between the Judeo-Christian religion and the “Religion of Peace.” The world is under assault everywhere by the followers of this “peaceful” religion.
Here are some of the statements that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar made:
"Most Muslims do not become Muslims to indulge in murder and mayhem.”
"It's not what Islam is about.”
"We try to live lives of peace and harmony within ourselves and with our neighbors."
"They (terrorists) embrace violence. They try to use religion as something to justify that. But nothing justifies that."
"I'd just like to see a better understanding by the media as to what Islam is all about as opposed to what the terrorists say it's about.”
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was formally known as Lew Alcindor. He converted to Islam in 1968 while in college at UCLA playing under the coaching of John Wooden. He claims he wanted to change his name because it was associated with the slave trade, and he was ashamed of it. The question now, in the light of his recent statements about Islam, is this, “ Did he ever really know what Islam was in the first place or did he join a protest movement that is anti-white and anti-Christian?” If these statements by Abdul-Jabbar are an accurate assessment of his convictions, then it is painfully clear that when he joined this religion, he did not do any serious research into the sordid history of the prophet Mohammad, the teachings of the Quran, or the terrible and bloody history of Islam through the centuries.
No one believes that every Muslim is a terrorist. But it is an undeniable fact that millions of Muslims around the world have a very different view of Islam than that of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Any student of Islam knows that the history of the prophet Mohammad is filled with violence, warfare, raids, executions, slavery, and vicious persecution of Jews and Christians. From the very inception of this religion and perpetrated by the prophet were all manner of things that we stand aghast at today.
Does Kareem Abdul-Jabbar understand that the truth claims of Islam cannot be defended? Does he know that Islam is the most oppressive religion in the world? Does he understand these basic facts about the religion that he converted to many years ago and that he is now defending? Consider these facts:
- While it may be easy to convert to Islam, it is not so easy to leave that religion. To leave the Islamic faith is to incur the death penalty.
- Islam has given to the West a number of unwanted gift—suicide bombers, honor killings, sharia law that enforces female genital mutilation, discrimination against Jews and Christians, death to homosexuals, death to apostates, death for adultery, and death for blasphemy.
- Islam allows a man to beat his wife and the practice of throwing acid on a woman who has dishonered her family.
- Slavery was practiced in Muslim countries until very late in the twentieth century and is still being practiced today in some countries in Africa.
- Since 9/11, over 150,000 people worldwide have been killed by Muslims who claim they are waging Jihad in the name of Allah and Mohammad.
- Islam broke out of the Arabian desert in the 7th century and waged a continual war of slaughter, torture, and enslavement against the rest of the world. Not one country that embraced Islam did so on its own. The sword and persecution were the instruments in spreading this religion.
- The Quran is filled with verses that teach and encourage Jihad against infidels. Those who do not practice violent Jihad are the ones who are not consistent with the teachings of the Quran.
- In Saudi Arabia, the birth place of Islam and Mohammad, women cannot vote, drive a car, or walk in public without a covering. And only a Muslim can be a citizen. Bibles are not allowed in Saudi Arabia, and it is forbidden to build any Christian churches or symbols.
- In most Muslim countries there is no freedom of speech, and in even the so-called moderate Muslim countries, Christians are routinely persecuted, discriminated against, and often beaten and killed.
- Islam in the most intolerant religion in the world. While other religious faiths allow discussion of their truth claims, to even suggest that Islam is a false religion, or that the prophet Mohammad is not a true prophet can get one beaten or killed.
If this is not enough, then listen to these words of famous Muslim leaders telling us what Islam is all about. Does Kareem Abdul-Jabbar disagree with these Islamic scholars and leaders? Are the acts of terror being done in the name of Islam only perpetrated by thugs? Perhaps Abdul-Jabbar needs to study more thoroughly the “religion of peace”. Here is what these Islamic leaders said:
1 "Those who know nothing about Islam pretend that Islam counsels against war. Those people are witless. Islam says: 'Kill all the unbelievers just as they would kill you all!' Does this mean that Muslims should sit back until they are devoured by the infidel? Islam says: 'Kill them, put them to the sword and scatter them.' Islam says: 'Whatever good there is exists thanks to the sword.' The sword is the key to Paradise, which can be opened only for the Holy Warriors! Does all this mean that Islam is a religion that prevents men from waging war? I spit upon those foolish souls who make such a claim." (Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini)
2 "In the Muslim community, the holy war is a religious duty, because of the universalism of the Muslim mission and the obligation to convert everybody to Islam either by persuasion or force. The other religious groups (Christianity and Judaism) did not have a universal mission, and the holy war was not a religious duty to them, save only for purposes of defense. (Ibn Khaldun, The Muqadimmah: Ail Introduction to History, Islamic historian, 1377 AD)
3 "Islam makes it incumbent on all adult males to prepare themselves for the conquest of countries so that the writ of Islam is obeyed in every country in the world." Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, Iranian Shiite mullah)
4 "The religion of Islam could be above all, so that all areas of life could be guided by Islam, and so that the earth could be cleansed from unbelief.” (The Islamic Council in Chechnya)
5 "The foremost duty of Islam is to depose the government and society of unbelievers (jahiliyyah) from the leadership of man." (Sayyid Qutb, Egyptian) Sayyid Qutb (1906-1966) is widely accepted, not only as one of "the spiritual leaders of radical Islamism" but as "the architect of worldwide jihad". Qutb´s influence has been profound. His thinking has provided the motivation and legitimizing ideology behind 9/11 and other recent terrorist attacks on the West.
6 “Oh, you Muslims everywhere, sever the ties of their nations, tear them apart, ruin their economy, instigate against their corporations, destroy their embassies, attack their interests, sink their ships, and shoot down their airplanes. Kill them in land, at sea, and in the air; kill them wherever you find them.” Sheikh Abdel Rahman, who planned the first terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has some explaining to do. He and those who are making uninformed statements about the nature of Islam must explain to the rest of the world why we should consider Islam a religion of peace. Those who are killing and murdering in the name of Islam are not corrupting or perverting anything. They are simply taking the Quran literally. That’s the scary part. History is very clear about the nature of Islam worldwide since its inception for those who read and study it. Unfortunately, people like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar have done little of both.