Questions to Ask a Muslim to Determine if He is a Moderate or an Extremist
- If militant Islam is the problem and moderate Islam is the solution, how does one differentiate between these two forms of Islam?
- If Islam is a religion of peace why does so much violence follow it all over the world and all through history?
- Do you condemn terrorism?
- Do you condone or condemn the Palestinians, Chechens, and Kashmiris who give up their lives to kill enemy civilians?
- Will you condemn by name as terrorist groups such organizations as Hamas, Hizbullah, Islamic Jihad, Isis, and al-Qaida?
- Should Muslim women have equal rights with men (for example, in inheritance shares or court testimony)?
- Is jihad, meaning a form of warfare, acceptable in today's world?
- Do you accept the validity of other religions?
- Do Muslims have anything to learn from the West?
- Should non-Muslims enjoy completely equal civil rights with Muslims?
- May Muslims convert to other religions?
- Do you believe that religious freedom should be allowed in Islamic countries, such as Saudi Arabia, where the building of Christian churches and owning a Bible is against the law?
- May Muslim women marry non-Muslim men?
- Do you accept the laws of a majority non-Muslim government and unreservedly pledge allegiance to that government?
- Should the state impose religious observance, such as banning food service during Ramadan?
- When Islamic customs conflict with secular laws (e.g., covering the face for drivers' license pictures), which should give way?
- Do you accept the legitimacy of scholarly inquiry into the origins of Islam.
- Do you accept the concept of freedom of speech that would allow a critical discussion of the prophet Mohammad?
- Who was responsible for the 9/11 suicide hijackings?
- Do you accept enhanced security measures to fight militant Islam, even if this means extra scrutiny of yourself (for example, at airline security)?
- Do you agree that institutions accused of funding terrorism should be shut down, or do you see this a symptom of bias?
- Do you accept that Western countries are majority-Christian and secular or do you seek to transform them into majority-Muslim countries ruled by Islamic law?
- How do you explain the overwhelming silence of the Muslim leaders, nations, and communities when terror attacks take place in Western Countries?
The sad tragedy of our current cultural situation in the West is that most people are so intimidated by Islam that to even think of asking these kinds of questions of a Muslim is unthinkable.
Think, however, that if there was a sizable Christian community anywhere in our country that believed similarly to Islamic doctrine how they would be harassed, dismissed, persecuted, scoffed at and made the brunt of endless jokes on late night TV talk shows.
In the West we are seeing an increasing attack on Christian culture while calling for more tolerance of the Islamic culture.
But he that sinneth against me wrongeth
his own soul: all they that hate me